Thursday, February 05, 2009

Stock Show

Over the long MLK Jr. Holiday break, we decided to check out the Ft. Worth Stock Show. At the rodeo itself, it was "Mexican Heritage day". So after rambling around the stock yards for a while, we did catch a bit of the rodeo which was fun for Steve and I, but excruciating for the boys (especially Joshua). It started off great; a big bowl of popcorn, a nice seat away from the COLD outside. But even I will admit, after about the 5th mariachi cowboy, I was ready for a walk around the midway. It still counts as culture nonetheless.

When we got to the midway, we had a little lesson in economics. The prices for rides on the midway were $1 per ticket and each ride was anywhere from 3 to 5 tickets. We had already been there about 3 hours and spent all we wanted on food and other stuff, so each kid got to pick one ride. The older boys picked the big slide and Charles wanted to ride the teapots.

Fine.

When they were done, Joshua decided he REALLY wanted to walk through the fun house. Think State fair. Funny mirrors, moving walls etc. It was another 3 tickets. Since we literally had $5 left in our pockets, I said no. He told me he would pay me back at home, and I so I let him. (I always loved the dumb fun house as a kid too). He walked through and when he came out we asked him if it was worth $3. (that is 1/3 of a months pay for him). He said "yes, it was"

Darn pride.

When we got home, Joshua pulled out his most recent IOU from his wallet. That IOU was from me...I don't remember what it was from but promised him it was as good as cash. (IOU $10 signed mom) He promptly changed the $10 to $7 as payment to me for the fun house. Not only did he make good on his promise to pay for his ride, but he now understands how our banking system works. The whole concept of money exchanging hands "on paper". Ha!

Here are a couple of pictures from our day!

The food was surprisingly good all around the stock yards. Here were some cowboys cooking up burritos.


The animals were all so cute.




The cows were cute too (hee hee)


The petting zoo was a big hit with all three boys!

Here is the Mexican rodeo. The little Mexican kids were adorable.

All in all, it was a really fun day!



Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment